Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Due to lack of space in the store and the light fixtures were being delivered in parts, some of which were too big, we were unable to assemble and photograph each item.
2. Due to lack of space in the store and the light fixtures were being delivered in parts, some of which were too big, we were unable to assemble and photograph each item.

Would you please tell me whether I should write "were being delivered or being delivered in the sentence above. Please advise.

Try:

Due to the lack of space in the store and because the light fixtures were delivered in parts, some of which were too big, we were unable to assemble and photograph each item.

Did their size keep you from assembling them?

Try:

Due to the lack of space in the store and because the light fixtures were delivered in parts, some of which were too big, we were unable to assemble and photograph each item.

Did their size keep you from assembling them?
Yes. They are too big and most of them are supplied in parts.

What were they too big for?

The size is 130 cm dia. x height 180 cm.
That would be an answer to "How big were they?" That wasn't the question. You said they were "too big", but we need to know what they were too big for.

For example:
My room is two metres wide. My table is three metres wide. Consequently, my table is too big for my room.

@PRD2021 It's a natural question, so I asked it. If somebody says something is too big the first thing that comes to mind is "What's it too big for?" In fact, it's such a natural question that you can expect just about anybody to ask that question.

That would be an answer to "How big were they?" That wasn't the question. You said they were "too big", but we need to know what they were too big for.

For example:
My room is two metres wide. My table is three metres wide. Consequently, my table is too big for my room.
The store is too small for assembling this light fixture.

@PRD2021 It's a natural question, so I asked it. If somebody says something is too big the first thing that comes to mind is "What's it too big for?" In fact, it's such a natural question that you can expect just about anybody to ask that question.

OK, but please try constructing the answer using the words "too big", not changing it to "too small".

Perhaps:

I had a suggestion, but I'm trying to be patient. (It's hard. šŸ˜Š)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back