[Vocabulary] Well, there isn’t masses that the federal government can do quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaisB

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Yemen
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi,
I'd like to know what does "masses" mean in the follow sentence which I took from the Independent Newspaper from an article titled "Labour shortages and supply chain issues are also giving Joe Biden a headache". Does it mean masses like in the Christmas?

Here's the full context:
So how has the White House responded to the issues? Well, there isn’t masses that the federal government can do quickly to alleviate supply problems (not unlike the UK). But last month the Biden administration named as its “ports envoy” John Porcari, a former Obama transportation official, to try and deal with issues over cargo and freight. Administration officials have also held meetings focused on four areas where supply issues are most pressing: home building, semiconductors (used in many digital products), transportation and agriculture.

Many thanks for your help,
Qais

You can replace the word masses with much:

Well, there isn't much that the federal government can do ...

Or "a lot".

I realize it's a UK publication, but 'masses' doesn't work at all in that context in AmE. It's borderline nonsensical in AmE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back