We will hand over the light samples to the client today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJSH

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. We will hand over the light samples to the client today.
2. We will ensure that the light samples are handed over to the client today.

Would you please tell me which one is more formal and sound good?

They don't mean exactly the same thing.

If you are going to hand over the samples yourself, I suggest using the first. It's clearer and simpler. Longer words aren't always better.

Do you mean "deliver the samples"?

"Hand over" and "deliver" aren't exactly the same thing to me.

"Hand over" and "deliver" aren't exactly the same thing to me.
No, they're not. You "hand over" something to authorities. You "deliver" something to a client.

They can mean the same thing. The postal delivery worker who delivers to my workplace hands our mail over to whoever opens the door to her. She can also be said to deliver the mail.

I would say she hands it to that person. (Without "over".)

With goods sold from a seller to a buyer, I would say it is "delivered". I would use "hand over" with things that have been kept in custody, or in the construction field, a building or parts of a building which has been completed.

So would I, but they can be used in other ways, at least in BrE, as emsr2d2 pointed out.

1. We will hand over the light samples to the client today.

If your client is coming to your office to pick up the samples, "hand over" is fine.
If you're sending the samples to your client through a messenger or courier, he'll deliver them to your client.

If you're sending the samples to your client through a messenger or courier, he'll deliver them to your client.
... and hand them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back