Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi!

"We should develop our vocabulary as much as/as many as possible"

Which one should I use? as many as or as much as? I am just not sure.

Thanks

I have seen people write 'develop (something) as much as possible', so I think 'much' is correct.

Not a teacher.

As much as possible = To as great an extent as possible/As often as possible

We should work on our English as much as possible.
You should take your dog for a walk as much as possible. (This is a poor use of the phrase but you will hear it a lot.)

It is a standard phrase and we never use "as many as possible" with this meaning.

"As many as possible" means "the highest number possible" and is used with countable nouns. When talking about quantity "as much as possible" is used with uncountable nouns.

I need you to do as much homework as possible.
Put in as much milk as possible.

Pack as many beans as possible into that jar. (Beans = countable)
Pour as much water as possible in to that jar. (Water = uncountable)

Yes! what I knew is the same; we use "as many as" for countable and "as much as" for uncountable. I was just stuck with the word "vocabulary" thinking whether it was a countable or uncountable. I think it is uncountable. So I would use "as much as".

Why is the “in to” separated in the last example while in the previous one is not?

I think it is uncountable.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, UM Chama:

I believe that the noun "vocabulary" is, in fact, countable.

For example, you speak at least two languages.

Therefore, you have at least two vocabularies.

I think that it might be helpful if we filled in the missing words:

"We should develop our vocabulary as much as IT IS possible [to develop our vocabulary]. (Remember: we do NOT say those words in the brackets [ ]. They are used only for analysis. Furthermore, native speakers usually leave out "it is.")

Now let's simplify it to:

"We should develop as much as possible."

Do you see that "much" refers to the verb "develop"? It has nothing to do with countable or uncountable nouns.

"You should develop your vocabulary / good manners / talents / kindness as much as [it is] possible [to develop your vocabulary / good manners / talents / kindness]."

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back