Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am doing a participles exercise. I need to combine the following sentence using a participle.

Question: We met a girl. She was carrying a basket of flowers on her head.
Answer: We met a girl carrying a basket of flowers on her head.

Does the answer suggests that they met more than one girl and were trying to specify which one?
Is the sentence equivalent to "We met a girl who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head"?

If I don't want to specify which girl, can I say "We met a girl, who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head"?

I am doing a participles exercise. I need to combine the following sentence using a participle.

Question: We met a girl. She was carrying a basket of flowers on her head.

That's not a question. It's an example.

Answer: We met a girl carrying a basket of flowers on her head.

Does the second example suggest that they met more than one girl and were trying to specify which one?

No. It would have to say
the girl.

Is the sentence equivalent to "We met a girl who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head"?

Yes.

If I don't want to specify which girl,

You can't. There is only one. If you want to tell us there were more, you would have to say the girl.

can I say "We met a girl, who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head"?

No. The comma is incorrect. If you want to use a comma, say: We met a girl, and she was . . . .
Did you make up your examples? It's always better to find real examples than to invent them.

can I say "We met a girl, who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head"?

No. The comma is incorrect. If you want to use a comma, say: We met a girl, and she was . . . .

Is it because when we use "a girl", we don't know whom we are talking about so we don't need a comma before "who"?

We met a girl who was carrying a basket of flowers on her head.

Where is the noun phrase? (Hint: It's underlined.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back