English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,
This is a sentence from a home assignment by a student: 'We have been contacted by company A, a manufacturer of weight monitors, and asked about the possibility of a co-operation agreement.'
I understand that the second part of the sentence does not make sense. Is it possible to change it into:'and offered to sign a co-operation agreement with them.?
I would say though:'and offered to test some samples of their products.'

Thank you for your time and help.

Hello,
This is a sentence from a home assignment by a student: 'We have been contacted by company A, a manufacturer of weight monitors, and asked about the possibility of a co-operation agreement.'
I understand that the second part of the sentence does not make sense. Is it possible to change it into:'and offered to sign a co-operation agreement with them.?

There is a big difference between a possible co-operation (collaboration) and Company A simply offering some of their products as samples.

On that basis, it entirely depends on what the student meant. I think I would have gone for something like "We have been contacted by XXX, a manufacturer of weight monitors, to ask about the possibility of our working together".

Bear in mind that we don't say "Company + name", we just give the name of the company.

We have been contacted by Microsoft ...
We have been contacted by Oracle ...

Hello,
This is a sentence from a home assignment by a student: 'We have been contacted by the (company name) company, a manufacturer of weight monitors, and they have asked about the possibility of a [STRIKE]co-operation [/STRIKE] cooperative agreement and offered for us to test some samples of their products.'

b.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back