We grew up in the countryside, surrounded by the beauties of nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran

Is the second sentence correct, too? Should we use present or past tense?

We grew up in the countryside, which is/was surrounded by the beauties of nature.

Source: Longman Dictionary

The original is better, although I'd use "the beauty of nature". However, in the original, you are saying that "we" were surrounded by the beauty of nature, not that the countryside is surrounded by it. The countryside is the beauty of nature.

Oh! What a mistake !
Did you meant it was like "We grew up in the countryside, and we were surrounded by the beauties of nature." ?

Oh! What a mistake!
Did you [STRIKE]meant[/STRIKE] mean that [STRIKE]it was like[/STRIKE] the original means "We grew up in the countryside and we were surrounded by the beauties of nature (no full stop here)"?

Effectively, yes. I would still use "beauty" not "beauties". I would probably say that it means "We grew up in the countryside so we were surrounded by the beauty of nature".

Note my corrections above. Don't leave a space before an exclamation mark or question mark.

I think this sentence is fine, though I'd use beauty. We were surrounded by the beauty of nature as we were growing up in the countryside.

Last edited:
I think this sentence is fine, though I'd use beauty. We were surrounded by the beauty of nature as we were growing up in the countryside.

There's a little ambiguity there as to whether "as" means "while" or "because".

There's a little ambiguity there as to whether "as" means "while" or "because".
Good point. "While" would have been a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back