Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
Having worked for a long time in a team on a certain case/project/task and having decided that it's finally finished, one of the team members says:
  • We did it!
To which, the other member, thinking that the job isn't done yet, replies with:
  • No, we didn't. We'll only do it when/once (that something) happens.
  • No, we didn't. We'll only have done it when/once (that something) happens.
  • No we haven't. We'll only do it when/once (that something) happens.
  • No we haven't. We'll only have done it when/once (that something) happens.
Which of these is/are correct?

- What's "that something happens"? - For instance, "when/once we get the call and they tell us it's done" or anything else.

Of those, I'd use "No, we didn't. We'll only have done it once ...".

Using "No, we haven't" after "We did it" doesn't work. It would after "We've done it!"

Using "No, we haven't" after "We did it" doesn't work. It would after "We've done it!"
Thank you! That's what I was wondering too.

Of those, I'd use "No, we didn't. We'll only have done it once ...".
I'd like to ask, is it only correct to say, "No, we didn't. We'll only have done it once ..." or is this option also possible, "No, we didn't. We'll only do it once ..."?

I'd like to ask something - is it only correct to say no comma here "No, we didn't. We'll only have done it once ..." or is this option also possible, "No, we didn't. We'll only do it once ..." also possible?
No. Your version has a different meaning. It means "We'll start doing it only once ...", whereas the original means "We'll be able to say it's finished only once ...".

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back