[Grammar] We are experiencing a high volume of customers contacting us at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you for contacting Oxford University Press. Your query has been received and we will contact you as soon as we can.

We are experiencing a high volume of customers contacting us at the moment. This may mean a delay in our responding to you. You should receive a response within 5 days.
--------------
Does the sentence in blue color mean a. or b.?
Could you tell me the reason?

a. We are experiencing a high volume of customers' contacting us at the moment.

b. We are experiencing a high volume of customers (that are) contacting us at the moment.

I think it means (a) because we experience something rather than someone.

Only nine examples are shown at my end.

Aren't nine examples enough to demonstrate the point?

Aren't nine examples enough to demonstrate the point?

At my end, there are only eight examples shown; three of them are "experiencing a lot of Customers' orders".

Does it mean that this usage is unusual?

2017-11-06_200622.jpg

I take 'experience a lot of people' to mean 'experience a situation where there are a lot of people (doing something)'.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it means B.

But as you can see, it's arguable. The problem is the Oxford writer's bad phrasing. How can you experience a volume? You can't. It's what we call "junk English": words (often of more than one syllable) that just take up space.

It should say something like:

- We have a large number of customers contacting us . . . .
- We have a long queue of customers to respond to . . . .
- We're responding to a large number of customers now . . . .

Moral: If you have something to say, come out and say it!

It's more common to hear "We are experiencing a high volume of calls ..." on the phone or "We are experiencing a high volume of emails ..." on the net.

A volume of something means an amount of something. How can you experience an amount? You can't.

That's how I understand it.

A volume of something means an amount of something. How can you experience an amount? You can't.

That's how I understand it.

In emsr2d2's opinion, we can say:

"We are experiencing a high volume of calls ..." on the phone or "We are experiencing a high volume of emails ..." on the net.

So I don't know why we cannot experience an amount (or a volume) (of something). :?:

Perhaps it is junk in AmE, which Charlie Bernstein speaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back