English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
IMG_2144.jpg
Is the English acceptable to native speakers?

It's understandable, and grammatical, but I suspect it doesn't mean what it's intended to mean. Also, I'd probably use 'fronds' instead of 'leaves' with palm trees.

Is this supposed to be a warning about the dangers of falling coconut fronds/leaves? If so then something like "Watch for falling coconut fronds/leaves" would be a better expression.

Also, are the leaves really that big a danger? I'd be more worried about the falling coconuts than the fronds themselves.

As written, it almost sounds like an invitation to view the activity of falling leaves.

"Watch the drop of coconut leaves."

Is the humor unintentional?

I'd use the simpler "Warning - falling coconut leaves". I'd be more worried about falling coconuts!

Also, are the leaves really that big a danger? I'd be more worried about the falling coconuts than the fronds themselves.

Coconut fronds are surprisingly heavy. If one fell on you it wouldn't kill you, but it would be a nasty jolt even if the palm was not a very tall one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back