English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My Grammar in Use (Elementary) says

Don't say "Was the travel long?" and I don't know why.

PS: Some people say it is because travel is a verb, but travel can be a noun too. ㅡ.ㅡ

We just don't say that "travel" is long or short.

Individual 'units of travel' are journeys or trips

My Grammar in Use (Elementary) says

Don't say "Was the travel long?" and I don't know why.

PS: Some people say it is because travel is a verb, but travel can be a noun too. ㅡ.ㅡ
The reason is simple. We only ask "Was X long?" if X can be measured (in length or time). "Travel" is an abstract noun, and doesn't have specific properties like this. If you want to refer to a specific instance of travel, as 5jj said, you have to instantiate it with a different word.

PS: That's an interesting item of punctuation you've used. How should we interpret it?

The reason is simple. We only ask "Was X long?" if X can be measured (in length or time). "Travel" is an abstract noun, and doesn't have specific properties like this. If you want to refer to a specific instance of travel, as 5jj said, you have to instantiate it with a different word.

PS: That's an interesting item of punctuation you've used. How should we interpret it?

You mean this? ㅡ.ㅡ ?
This is one of the most common emoticons in Korea which means I'm embarrassed or curious or shy or ... sometimes grouchy....and so on. It consists of two Korean vowels and a point between them. ^.^

Last edited:
You mean this? ㅡ.ㅡ ?
This is one of the most common emoticons in Korea which means I'm embarrassed or curious or shy or ... sometimes grouchy....and so on. It consists of two Korean vowels and a point between them. ^.^
OK, thanks. I'll tuck that away somewhere for when I learn Korean.

We just don't say that "travel" is long or short.

:up: And while 'Was the journey long' would be acceptable in my cases, the more common way of putting it is 'Was it [or 'Have you had'] a long journey?]' When someone has just arrived you can simply ask 'Have you come far?', and spare yourself the bother of wondering which noun to use. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back