Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Commitment means a promise or a firm decision that is only made by humans. How could "war" produced a commitment? What does commitment mean here?

================
Limited Mobilization

Just as the war in Korea produced only a limited American millitary commitment abroad, as it created only a limited economic mobilization at home.Truman set up the Office of Defense Mobilization to fight inflation by holding down prices and discouraging high union wage demands. When these cautious regulatory efforts failed, the president took more drastic action.
Source: The Nufinished Nation - A concise history of American people by Alan Brinkley p770

Last edited by a moderator:
"Produced" in that sense means led to.

"Commitment" means a promise or a firm decision that is only made by humans. How could war (no quotation marks) [STRIKE]produced[/STRIKE] produce a commitment? What does "commitment" mean here?

================
Limited Mobilization

Just as the war in Korea space here produced only a limited American [STRIKE]millitary[/STRIKE] military commitment abroad, as it created only a limited economic mobilization at home. space here Truman set up the Office of Defense Mobilization to fight inflation by holding down prices and discouraging high union wage demands. When these cautious regulatory efforts failed, the president took more drastic action.

Source: The Unfinished Nation - A Concise History of the American People by Alan Brinkley p770

Note my corrections above. Please take more care when giving the source. Copy it exactly as it's written on the book and put the title in italics. Was "military" really misspelled in the original?

Note my corrections above. Please take more care when giving the source. Copy it exactly as it's written on the book and put the title in italics. Was "military" really misspelled in the original?

That is "military" there. But "Alan Brinkley" is all capitalized: ALAN BRINKLEY.

That is "military" there. But "Alan Brinkley" is all capitalized: ALAN BRINKLEY.

What do you mean by "That is "military" there"? Do you mean "It was spelt "military" (the correct spelling) in the original"?

I meant that you should copy the title as it's written on the book. However, if all the words are in capitals, it's fine to change that as, online, writing in all capitals is the equivalent of shouting. You still have to capitalise the first letter of all the principal words in the title, as I showed you with my correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
To return to the actual question, in military terrms a "commitment" refers to the resources required in terms of troops and equipment.

To return to the actual question, in military terrms a "commitment" refers to the resources required in terms of troops and equipment.

So "the war in Korea produced only a limited American millitary commitment abroad" means "the war in Korea led to only a limited American millitary resources abroad"?

It seems to mean that Korean War has wasted so much American millitary resources that greatly weakened American military capability in the rest of the world. Is this what the author means?

So "the war in Korea produced only a limited American millitary commitment abroad" means "the war in Korea led to only a limited American millitary resources abroad"?
That doesn't make sense — and you've misspelled "military" again. :)

It seems to mean that the Korean War [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] wasted so [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] many American millitary resources that it greatly weakened American military capability in the rest of the world. Is this what the author means?
Once again, you're reading more into the text than it says. Stick to the text.

OK. Let's play a Replacing game to explore the meaning of the phrase "the war in Korea produced only a limited American military commitment abroad":

(1) Step one of the Replacing:

"Produced" in that sense means led to.
And GoesStation clicked Like button to show his approval. Now we have:

"the war in Korea led to only a limited American military commitment abroad":

(2) Step two of the Replacing:

in military terrms a "commitment" refers to the resources required in terms of troops and equipment.

And GoesStation clicked Like button to show his approval. Then we have:

"the war in Korea led to only a limited American military resources abroad":
(Why not "resources required in terms of troops and equipment"? Because the resources has been modified by "military", thus the rest of the phrase is redundant.)

(3) The result is the phrase "the war in Korea led to only a limited American military resources abroad". At this moment, GoesStation shows his disapproval:

That doesn't make sense

Now the question is: Has GoesStation been consistent in the game?

I think GS is like me, He tries to help, not play games.

I can't speak for GS on this, I prefer the people I try to help to show a little appreciation rather than be adversarial.

Yes. I know he tries to help.

The game is simply a way of learning English.

Now the question is: Has GoesStation been consistent in the game?
If you want to remain on the forum, you'll stop questioning native speakers' mastery of their own language.

Thread closed. There could be more to discuss here but the tone has gone sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back