... want to ask questions about some related tangent ...

JSBae

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
France
I came across two sentences.

“If anything is not clear, or you just want to ask questions about some related tangent or whatever, please feel free to do so.” (from
)

“It’s sort of precognitive, second nature,” he said. “Beyond the senses.” Gary stopped himself. “I’m going off on a spiritual tangent.” (from https://www.economist.com/1843/2024/02/02/the-last-stand-of-the-call-centre-worker)

The word tangent is used in both. But I can't figure out its meaning.

Please help me out.

Thank you.

Last edited:

“If anything is not clear, or you just want to ask questions about some related MATTER or whatever, please feel free to do so.”

“It’s sort of precognitive, second nature,” he said. “Beyond the senses.” Gary stopped himself. “I’m going off on a spiritual JOURNEY.”

The word tangent is used in both. But I can't figure out its meaning.

Please help me out.

[......]
Two things. One, context is always important. Two, you must pay attention to speaker intent.

Welcome to the forum, JSBae.

Our rules stipulate that you must cite the source and author of any text you quote.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, JSBae.

Our rules stipulate that you must cite the source and author of any text you quote.
I edited my thread. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the mathematical definition of a tangent? A line or plane that touches a curve at only one point.

To "go off on a tangent" is, by analogy, to start talking about something that has just a slight connection to the subject being discussed.

For example: almost every politician in the world when asked a question.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back