Austria
How to use wanna and gonna??

Don't use them on this forum.

Not a teacher.

Welcome to the forum. Latte Wang.

How can I use 'wanna' and 'gonna'?

Please note my amendments to your post.

First read the Similar Threads below.

'Wanna' and 'gonna' are not used in formal written English, but they are used all the time by most speakers in oral English.

'Wanna' corresponds to 'want to', or sometimes to 'want a', as in:

'I wanna go now.' (I want to go now) or 'I wanna cup of coffee.' (I want a cup of coffee.)

'Gonna' corresponds to 'going to', as in the future form:

'I'm gonna go now.' (I'm going to go now.)

btw, do you wanna take my survey on wanna and gonna? (It takes five minutes, hopefully!)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2QDBKN5

Cheers,

G

You can also add to that list "wanned" which means "wanted to". I think it's even more casual.

Not a teacher.

I have never heard anything that sounds remotely like "wanned" in BrE. We don't contract "wanted to" as a general rule, even in casual speech.

'Wanna' and 'gonna' are written "want to" and "going to" unless you are trying to give a phonemic transciption of what has been said, in which case, you'd need to write all the words as they're said. If you're simply writing and nothing has been said, there's no place for either word if you want to be taken seriously.

Not a teacher.
Really, do you have a source for that bit of information? Because, as far as I'm concerned, "wanned" is the past form of the verb "to wan".
wan: (v.i.) to grow or become pale or sickly
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wan

I've never seen it written, but I've definitely heard it. They say something like: "I did it because I wanned." With "wanned" pronounced like /wɑːnəd/.

I've never seen it written, but I've definitely heard it. They say something like: "I did it because I wanned." With "wanned" pronounced like /wɑːnəd/.
Well, sure, that's my point. You can write everything phonetically if you want, but don't expect to be understood.
In AusE, neither 'gonna' nor 'wanna' is even correct phonemically. You'd need 'gunna' and 'wonna'. But I'm not suggesting you do so.

I think what you might have heard "I did it because I wanted" from someone who doesn't realise that the final word of the sentence should be "to". Some people swallow the middle "t" in "wanted" and it sounds like "wonnid".

NOT A TEACHER
Many times in American English, the /t/ after /n/ is silent. And that person just dropped "to", or (s)he didn't even realize that "to" was needed, I guess.

NOT A TEACHER
Many times in American English, the /t/ after /n/ is silent. And that person just dropped "to", or (s)he didn't even realize that "to" was needed, I guess.

Apart from the bit about AmE, isn't that pretty much exactly what I said in post #11, two and half hours earlier?

Apart from the bit about AmE, isn't that pretty much exactly what I said in post #11, two and half hours earlier?
You can say I only generalized from your "silent t" in "wanted" to unstressed /t/ after /n/ in general.
NOT A TEACHER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back