Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Let's say I'm going to throw a birthday party. I wonder if it's okay to ask someone "Wanna come to my party"?

It's OK in casual conversation. In writing, the question mark belongs inside the quotation marks.

I wonder if it's okay to ask someone "Wanna come to my party?"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine in a casual context. I find the use of "wanna" by non-native speakers rather grating, but I think it's in wide use and my feelings about it are probably not really appropriate.

I like it spoken better than I like it written. I might say to someone "Wanna come?" but I always write it "Want to come?" In writing, wanna looks dumb and lazy to me.

And I only say wanna to friends and family. I don't use it around people I don't know well.

But like Goes, those are my preferences and don't necessarily reflect what others think or do.

Last edited:
It's fine in a casual context. I find the use of "wanna" by non-native speakers rather grating, but I think it's in wide use and my feelings about it are probably not really appropriate.

I agree, you need to be a fluent speaker to make colloquialisms like that sound natural.

As others have said, it is only appropriate in speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back