[Vocabulary] "Volume Up On/Off" makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasmin39

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, I'm wondering whether the phrase in the title can be used as a button name in a smartphone screen.

We have the following 3 buttons in the smartphone screen.

"Noise Cancel On/Off" "Mic Boost On/Off" "Speaker On/Off"

Now we'd like to add a new one, "Volume Up On/Off."

I know "Volume Up" is not used with "On/Off", but in this case we'd like to use On/Off like the other buttons.

What do you think?
"Volume Up On/Off" is available?

What happens when the button is pressed?

Thank you for your quick response, Tdol!

The screen is for our free phone call application, and if you press the button, the other person's voice sounds louder.

We don't have "Volume Down" button(or feature) in the app. Just we have a Volume Up feature.

"What happens when you release the button?" is the more pertinent question.

The others are toggle switches. Press once and the speaker is on. Press again and the speaker is off.

That's not how "volume up" works. You are not turning something off and on. You are commanding the volume to go up. Not "off" or "on." "Up" is your action word.

Would Increase Volume fit the button? I don't like the volume up on/off idea much.

Thank you for your quick response, Tdol!

The screen is for our free phone call application, and if you press the button, the other person's voice sounds louder.

We don't have "Volume Down" button(or feature) in the app. Just we have a Volume Up feature.

How do you make the volume lower then?

Thank you so much for your kindness, Soothing Dave and Tdol!

Actually, the "volume up button" is shown only while talking, and it's a toggle switch (I know it's a very rare case...:roll:), which can be pressed just to increase the volume.(When you feel the other person too loud with the button turned on, then you press it again to disable the volume up feature.)

I'm sorry for my explanation was not enough to make you image how the button works.
Now I'd like to ask you again of "Volume Up On/Off."

I think "volume up "on/off" will work.

Hurray!!:-D

Thank you so much, MikeNewYork and Using English.com!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jasmin, there is no need to write a new post just to say "Thank you" or to quote our replies back to us. . It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves everybody's time.

I would say "Volume Hi/Lo" if it toggles between the two states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back