Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please help me chose the best answer:

[FONT=&quot]Scrabble is the world’s most popular word game. For its origins, we have to go back to the 1930s in the USA, when Alfred Butts, an architect, found himself out of (46) ……………….. He decided that there was a (47) ………………. for a board game based on words and (48) ………………. to design one. Eventually he made a (49) ………………. from it, in spite of the fact that his original ………………. was only three cents a game.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]46 A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]earning B work C income D job[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]47 A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]market B purchase C commerce D sale[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]48 A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]took up B set out C made for D got round[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]49 A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]wealth B fund C cash D fortune[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]50 A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]receipt B benefit C profit D allowance

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]51 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Roger’s manager ................... to make him stay late if he hadn’t finished the work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]insisted B warned C threatened D announced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]52 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]By the time he has finished his week’s work, John has hardly ................... energy left for the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]any B much C no D same[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]53 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]As the game .................... to a close, disappointed spectators started to leave.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]led B neared C approached D drew[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]54 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I don’t remember .................... the front door when I left home this morning. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to lock B locking C locked D to have locked[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]55 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I .................... to other people borrowing my books: they always forget to return them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]disagree B avoid C dislike D object[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]56 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Andrew’s attempts to get into the swimming team have not .................... with much success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]associated B concluded C joined D met[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]57 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Although Harry had obviously read the newspaper article carefully, he didn’t seem to have .................... the main point.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]grasped B clutched C clasped D gripped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]58 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A lot of the views put forward in the documentary were open to .................... .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]enquiry B query C question D wonder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]59 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The new college .................... for the needs of students with a variety of learning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]backgrounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]deals B supplies C furnishes D caters[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I find the times of English meals very strange – I’m not used ..................... dinner at 6pm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to have B to having C having D have[/FONT]

As I wrote in another thread, shi.shi, we don't help with homework assignments.

Your first line should have read "Please help me to choose the best answer..."

In addition to 5jj's comment about homework assignments, I would add that any post with so many questions together is unlikely to be dealt with as it would be far too time-consuming for volunteers.

Thank you dears,

All those 4 posts I've just sent you were actually of a test I'd taken in June 25, 2012.
I truly got 37 out of 60. My teacher did not provide me the answer key to see what the correct answers are and she just quoted my score. That's all.

Now I do not really know what my errors/mistakes are.

Thank you dears,

All those 4 posts I've just sent you were actually of a test I'd taken in June 25, 2012.
I truly got 37 out of 60. My teacher did not provide me the answer key to see what the correct answers are and she just quoted my score. That's all.

Now I do not really know what my errors/mistakes are.

Then select two or three at a time, and post them in separate threads, with the answers you think are correct. I have closed this thread, because as ems wrote, most of us haven't got time to deal with so many questions at once. There is also the point that responses to more than a couple of different questions in one thread can become very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back