Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can be exempt from holding a visa to a foreign country. Can I say I'm visa exempt to a foreign country?

You can. But most people would simply say "I don't need a visa to go there."

You can. But most people would simply say "I don't need a visa to go there."

I don't need a visa to a foreign country or for a foregn country?

I can be exempt from holding a visa to a foreign country. Can I say I'm visa exempt to a foreign country?

Some people would give this an unqualified Yes. There are two points that I would make though:

• To make a compound adjective, if it comes before the noun, a hyphen helps. This distinguishes between shelf that is both high and level ('a high, level shelf') and a shelf set at a high level (' a high-level shelf'). In many contexts this is unnecessary; a 'high-level inquiry' is obviously not both high and level - so 'high level inquiry' (without the hyphen) is unexceptionable. Here I would uses 'visa-exempt', though this isn't essential.
  • 'to a foreign country' doesn't work, in my view. It puts too much grammatical information into 'visa-exempt', especially in the absence of the hyphen that relates the two words. In the words of maths, it's a sort of 'vinculum' (derived, appropriately, from the Latin for a link in a chain).

So I would prefer just 'In this country they are visa-exempt'. Other teachers may disagree though. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back