Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my weekly essay i assign myself, so I won't turn it to teacher. I need help with grammar and words choice.

“Many people believe that formal “pen and paper” examinations are not the best method of assessing educational achievement”
What is your view of examination?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Formal examinations are one of the most common methods to measure learners’ cognition and intelligence. Although “pen and paper” exam scores are widely accepted, this assessment has shown its drawbacks over times. Consequently, it is believed that conventional examinations are no longer feasible to assess educational achievement properly and their usage needs to be reconsidered.

The prevalent use of formal exams clearly brings about several benefits. With a view to providing equality, exams are conducted under fair conditions. Test takers must stay in a room with teacher’s inspection and answer questions of similar difficulty. In addition,one reason for “pen and paper” exams recognition is that the test scores give a virtual evaluation of learners’ understandings, so that teachers can rank them later on the basis of their performance.

On the other hand, some shortcomings of conventional exams have been exposed. During an examination, various factors, such as students’ health conditions and anxiety, may affect their performance tremendously. Furthermore, tests are often predictable, so test takers can prepare for them by rote learning without underlying knowledge. Since educational dishonesty while learners sit for an exam is not unusual, those behaviors make the results unreliable and baffle teachers’ evaluation precision.

Due to all concerns mentioned above, it is necessary to reconsider the importance of formal examinations. In addition to conventional method, educators should set more store on student’s performance on class or lecture. The learning process and exam scores may share equivalent contribution to final result of students, and examinations also need to be relevant to what is taught at schools.

In conclusion, “pen and paper” exams clearly have a role to play in assessment of learner’s performance. However, they should be carefully designed and supplemented with other measurements.

P/s: With this kind of question, do i have to include an example or it is optional? Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the original title really say "What is your view of examination?"

Perhaps:

This is my essay for this week. I assign these essays to myself, so I won't be turning this in to a teacher. I need help with grammar and word choice.

Original title is "What is your view of examinations?"

I have always thought that the point of exams is to measure how well the students are learning the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back