Status
Not open for further replies.

diteveka

Member Type
Student or Learner
:cry: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Is it ok if I say to offer sb to do sthg

Last edited:
:cry: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Is it ok if I say to offer sb to do sthg

She offered her husband, who is a plumber, to stop the leakage at the neighbor's.
She offered her husband to stop the leakage.
She offered him.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand your sentences.

She offered whose husband? She offered him what?

She offered his husband's services to the neighbors.

Ah. Gotcha. Her husband's, not his husbands.

I can't say that it reads very naturally. We might offer our spouse's services, but I can't really say we offer our spouse. I can't really go along with this one.

Her husband's, not his husbands.
:oops:

What would be your answer to the OPs question?

I don't like to say "Impossible!" because someone can always come up with something.

It doesn't sound like a natural pattern to me right now.

In my opinion, with "offer" what should follow immediately after the verb is what you are offering.

I offered my husband's plumbing expertise. I offered to lend her my black dress.

The "to" that would come next isn't an infinitive of purpose ("to fix the leaks") but the recipient of the services.

I offered my husband's plumbing expertise to my neighbor to help her with her leaky kitchen sink.

I offered the job to the best candidate.

However, if you can think of more sentences, let's see if we can fine one in that pattern that does sound natural.

I don't like to say "Impossible!" because someone can always come up with something.

Agreed. Impossible can be a very dangerous word in this forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back