Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Some students, due most often to serendipitous class choices or a quirky old-fashioned teacher, might know a few of these answers. But most students will not know many of them, or vast numbers like them, because they have not been educated to know them. At best they possess accidental knowledge, but otherwise are masters of systematic ignorance. They are not to be blamed for their pervasive ignorance of western and American history, civilization, politics, art and literature. It is the hallmark of their education. They have learned exactly what we have asked of them – to be like mayflies, alive by happenstance in a fleeting present.
https://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2016/02/res-idiotica/

What does the expression "vast numbers like them" mean in the above passage?

Some students, due most often to serendipitous class choices or a quirky old-fashioned teacher, might know a few of these answers. But most students will not know many of them, or vast numbers like them, because they have not been educated to know them. At best they possess accidental knowledge, but otherwise are masters of systematic ignorance. They are not to be blamed for their pervasive ignorance of Western and American history, civilization, politics, art and literature. It is the hallmark of their education. They have learned exactly what we have asked of them – to be like mayflies, alive by happenstance in a fleeting present.
https://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2016/02/res-idiotica/

What does the expression "vast numbers like them" mean in the above passage?

It's a mystery to me. (Highlighting it in red didn't help. ;-) )

I would probably say facts and not answers.

Piscean is smarter than I am.
;-)

It's poor writing.

Frankly, vast numbers like them doesn't work for me. I would say they are ignorant or that they don't know much. To say that somebody doesn't know vast numbers of something is weird to me. It makes more sense to me to say they don't know what they should know or that they don't know what we expect them to know.

Frankly, vast numbers like them doesn't work for me. I would say they are ignorant or that they don't know much. To say that somebody doesn't know vast numbers of something is weird to me. It makes more sense to me to say they don't know what they should know or that they don't know what we expect them to know.
You're right. I read of, and it says like, which makes no sense. So I deleted my comment.

Thanks!

Answers to vast numbers of similar questions, is how I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back