Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

From the book Assassin.

Geirmund peered in to the woods, which were already twilight-dim that late in the afternoon and darkening still. The open, lowland groves of oak had long since given way to dense, mountain forest in which all manner of beasts could hide. Black trunks of pine and birch stood in silent, vanishing array, the posts of a hall into which Geirmund and his brother had not been invited. No hearth or soapstone lanterns burned there, and if such a hall had a king or a chieftain, be it troll or spirit, that ruler would offer them no protection.

As far as I know, "vanish" means more or less the same as "disappear."

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/vanish

1to disappear suddenly, especially in a way that cannot be easily explained
2 to suddenly stop existing

As I understand, the black trunks of trees looked like columns or posts (hence, array - agroup of things or people), but what is meant by "vanishig array"?

My own guess: these rows of trees (probably two rows) were very long and when you looked at them they seemed to disappear in the distance.

Thank you

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I would think.

It means that as darkness fell the trees became harder to see.

The text is full of errors. Did you cut and paste it?

Last edited by a moderator:
KLPNO, please name the author of the book.

I have underlined the pairs of words which have been run together by the copy and paste process. Please use Edit Post to insert spaces where necessary and watch out for this happening if you do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back