Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
By reading the phrase "Desperately needed vaccines against COVID-19, developed and tested at record speed, are 2020’s breakthrough", do you have an impression that the vaccines are the ONLY, rather than among, breakthrough(s) of 2020?

I do. I am not sure whether this impression is the result of a correct understanding of the English phrase.

==========================
2020BREAKTHROUGH
of the YEAR

Shots of hope
Desperately needed vaccines against COVID-19, developed and tested at record speed, are 2020’s breakthrough

By Jon Cohen17 December 2020

In March, when cases of COVID-19 began to overwhelm hospitals in the United States, I told my 90-year-old mother that she had to shelter in place. She lives alone in Los Angeles, and to keep her company, I FaceTimed her every night. In the role reversal that happens with time, I became the forever-worried, nagging parent, and she was the ever-doubting, defiant child.

Source: Science https://vis.sciencemag.org/breakthrough2020/

By reading the phrase "Desperately needed vaccines against COVID-19, developed and tested at record speed, are 2020’s breakthrough", do you have an impression that the vaccines are the ONLY, rather than among, breakthrough(s) of 2020?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back