Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it correct to say something is serviceable with the meaning that it is of acceptable, but rather unimpressive, quality? For example, when referring to a piece of media. That's how I've been using the word for a while, but it seems that's not quite what it means, according to the dictionaries I've since consulted. They mostly define it as a synonym for "usable" and "functional". Is there, perhaps, a better word for the meaning I'm after?

@kttlt if you are not aware of onelook.com, we often recommend it to learners. It is a compendium of over a thousand dictionaries and therefore better than any single dictionary.

@kttlt if you are not aware of onelook.com, we often recommend it to learners.
Thank you, I was not aware of it. I've been mostly using Cambridge Dictionary, and Collins Dictionary to occasionally double-check some things. Neither provided the definition I was looking for. However, the very first link on OneLook directs to Merriam-Webster, which does have "of adequate quality" definition, so I can tell right away that it is very helpful.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back