Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When I was in Thailand, the staff at the hotel I stayed recommended a local restaurant. So I decided to give it a try. I used Google Maps to navigate. But it led me to the wrong place.

Hello, everyone. A dictionary says when the verb 'navigate' isn't followed by an object, I means:
[no object]Plan and direct the course of a ship, aircraft, or other form of transport, especially by using instruments or maps.

I wasn't using any transportation. I was traveling by foot. so I was wondering if my use of 'navigate' wrong?
Also, is 'to navigate' enough? Is it clear that I am talking about navigating my way to the restaurant? Many thanks!

When I was in Thailand, the staff at the hotel I stayed recommended

That underlined part is wrong; you cannot stay a hotel! You stay at a hotel. So you can say "the staff at the hotel I stayed at" or better "the staff at my hotel".

I wasn't using any transportation.
I was traveling by foot
, so I was wondering if my use of 'navigate' is wrong.

No, your use of "navigate" is not wrong. When we say, for example, "navigate a ship", we mean "steer a ship through a particular course".

Also, is 'to navigate' enough? Is it clear that I am talking about navigating my way to the restaurant? Many thanks!
Yes, but you can simply say "I used Google Maps to get there/to the restaurant".
I would be more inclined to use "navigate" if I was driving, not walking.
[Edit: sorry about the messed up quote boxes. It's the system's fault, not mine. ;-)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid square brackets where possible- they're used in forum code.

Chubby Baby, did you paste your text here from something like Word?

OK- not to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back