Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

ENGLISH PAGE - Must

Using "Must" in Present, Past, and Future

Present form: You must take some time off and get some rest.

Future form: SHIFT TO "SHOULD": You should take some time off next week to get some rest.

Is the using 'should' instead of 'must' for future form a necessity or must I definitely use 'should'? Is 'you must take some time off next week to get some rest' wrong?

Thanks.

Hi,

ENGLISH PAGE - Must

Using "Must" in Present, Past, and Future

Present form: You must take some time off and get some rest.

Future form: SHIFT TO "SHOULD": You should take some time off next week to get some rest.

Is the using 'should' instead of 'must' for future form a necessity or must I definitely use 'should'? Is 'you must take some time off next week to get some rest' wrong?

Thanks.

It's not an issue of present, past, future. It's an issue of advisability vs. necessity. Use "should" as a form of advice. Use "must" as a requirement or necessity.

Thank you both for the answers. I think I have got it. Although it is written on this site that we can't use the form of suggestion for the present, we can use in a right context. Am I right?

ENGLISH PAGE - Could
- suggestion

-We could write a letter to the director now.

-You could ask your doctor for a check-up right now.

-We could write a letter to the director now.

-You could ask your doctor for a check-up right now.
'Now' and 'right now' are still in the future in those two suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back