Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I have learned that "hug" as a verb also means when a piece of clothes tightly fits the wearer's body.

Have I used it correctly and naturally in these sentences?

1. She wore tight leather shorts that really hugged her hips and thighs.
2. She was wearing a black blouse that tightly hugged her chest / breasts.

Can I use it about skirts too? Is this sentence okay?

She wore a tight pencil skirt that tightly hugged her well-shaped legs.

Yes, even with underwear.

Alpacinoutd, I sincerely hope that you are not teaching your English students to write/say such things. It is not acceptable in this day and age. You can say things like "She was wearing a close-fitting blouse", or "He was wearing short shorts", but don't wantonly mention parts of the body. I'm also slightly perturbed by the fact that all three of your examples are about women. And despite tedmc's post, PLEASE don't start talking about women's underwear.

Alpacinoutd, I sincerely hope that you are not teaching your English students to write/say such things. It is not acceptable in this day and age. You can say things like "She was wearing a close-fitting blouse", or "He was wearing short shorts", but don't wantonly mention parts of the body. I'm also slightly perturbed by the fact that all three of your examples are about women. And despite tedmc's post, PLEASE don't start talking about women's underwear.
Wow. Excellent advice. It never occurred to me that these might be for student exercises.

I thought Al just likes writing racy stories. For some reason. It seems to be a preoccupation. Like how I'm always writing cowboy songs. Which I also wouldn't inflict on students.

Last edited:
Thank you my friends. But do you actually think I teach stuff like that in class?! Of course I know better!

This is just a part of quest to learn everything in English. And I mean everything.

It would be helpful if you would explain the purpose of the things you ask us about, in that case. Your member profile shows that you are an English teacher so I tend to assume that you are looking for help and support in your work. I'm still interested to know in what context you think you would need to write those three example sentences in real life. We like to think that we are helping people with the English they need in everyday life, rather than pointless abstracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back