Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Have I used "alleviate" correctly and naturally in these sentences?

1. Spending time in nature can alleviate your stress.

2. Doing sports is a great way of alleviating stress.

3. We can alleviate the detrimental effects of deforestation by planting trees.

4. To alleviate the problem of deforestation, heavy fines should be imposed on those who cut down trees.

Hello.

Have I used "alleviate" correctly and naturally in these sentences?

It's natural written English, but it's not conversational.

1. Spending time in nature can alleviate your stress.

In conversation, we'd probably say: "Spending time outdoors can reduce stress."

2. Doing sports is a great way of alleviating stress.

In conversation, we'd probably use reducing or relieving. They're both two syllables shorter than alleviating.

3. We can alleviate the detrimental effects of deforestation by planting trees.

In conversation, we'd say something like: "Planting trees can help make up for deforestation."

4. To alleviate the problem of deforestation, heavy fines should be imposed on those who cut down trees.

In conversation, we'd say something like: "To slow deforestation, people who cut down trees should get big fines."
Keep in mind that alleviate is a four-syllable word, and most people use smaller vocabularies for speaking than for writing/

Yes I know but I want to teach this word to learner who want to take the writing test of TOEFL.

So, are those sentences okay for writing in TOEFL?

Yes, I know, but I want to teach this word to a learner who wants to take the TOEFL writing test. [STRIKE]of TOEFL.[/STRIKE]

See my corrections above.

See my corrections above.

I meant to say learners. For reasons I mentioned earlier, I had a typo!

So, are the sentences okay for writing in international tests?

I meant to [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] write "learners". For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] made a typo!

See above. I can't see anything earlier in this thread where you have explained why you made a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back