Username and password are needed for this web portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Username and password is needed for this web portal.

2) Username and password are needed for this web portal.

Which one is correct? What do we need to use "is" or "are"?

Do we also call them credentials as well? Like "credentials (username and password) are needed for this website in order to retrieve any information.

1) A username and password is needed for this web portal.
2) A username and password are needed for this web portal.

Which one is correct?

[STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] Do we need to use "is" or "are"? I have made this correction many times!

Do we also call them credentials? [STRIKE]as well?[/STRIKE] Don't use "also" and "as well". They mean the same thing.

[STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] For example, "Credentials (username and password) are needed for this website in order to retrieve any information."

See my corrections above. I haven't answered your main question because I am very confident that you know the answer. Think about it carefully. Which do we use for more than one thing?

You could use "Login credentials", but not "credentials" on its own. It's not clear enough.

You could also say that you need to register to use the portal, as registration involves a username and a password.

See my corrections above. I haven't answered your main question because I am very confident that you know the answer. Think about it carefully. Which do we use for more than one thing?

You could use "Login credentials", but not "credentials" on its own. It's not clear enough.

Okay, we need to use "are".

We need to say the following:

1) We need a user name and password for this website.

2) We need login credentials for this website.

3) We need to register with this web portal.

4) A username and password are need for this website.

Am I correct?

Okay, we need to use "are".

We need to say the following:

1) We need a username and password for this website.

2) We need login credentials for this website.

3) We need to register with this web portal.

4) A username and password are needed to use this website.

Am I correct?

OK

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but things like #2 are simply painful on the ear.

People in the IT industry use and understand "credentials" by itself to mean the same thing. Other people need more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back