Useage of the word "Yourself"

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 61,028
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

In a sentence, how are we supposed to use the refelxive pronoun "Yourself"?
Should it preceed the noun like " yourself and John " or should it be "John and yourself".
It would be great if you could explain the reasons as to which is correct.

thanks in advance,
Cheers!

you should say you and john.

why do you insist on using yourself in this situation?

The -self pronouns have two uses;

1-- as the object of the verb whose subject is the same entity: I have cut myself; she taught herself Urdu.

2-- as an intensifier: She believes the Yankees will win the pennant, but I myself cannot see that happening.

The -self pronouns have two uses;

1-- as the object of the verb whose subject is the same entity: I have cut myself; she taught herself Urdu.

2-- as an intensifier: She believes the Yankees will win the pennant, but I myself cannot see that happening.

so in this situation, can we use self pronouns?

i dont think so

The original poster has not given us any situation, Matilda-- just the phrase, 'yourself and John' (or 'John and yourself', which is equally possible).

I can easily construct a situation in which either use is appropriate:

'You haven't hurt me at all with your lies-- you have just hurt yourself and John.'
'You haven't hurt me at all-- it is just John and you yourself that you have hurt with your lies.'

Re: Useage of the word "Yourself"
It should be 'usage' not 'useage'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back