Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Good-bye Gentlemen. And I use the term loosely.

Would you say that means that I use the term loosely regularly or could it just this once?
Could the sentence mean: I am using the term loosely now?

Thank you very much Jutfrank.

I know it is used humorously and as a verbal jab. I have a friend who uses it! That is where I heard it! He uses it as a joke every time he is leaving us. I am sure he heard it in a TV show or something. I think he once told me a comedian used to use it.

I was just interested in the grammar. I wanted to know if 'I use the term loosely' necessarily meant that that is something I do habitually, or it might mean that I am using that term loosely now.

I know that the whole thing is said humorously and that in that context it doesn't matter whether the action is habitual or not, but I was interested in the grammar.

No, it's aimed only at the specific individuals being addressed at that time. That is, he's saying that you hardly count as a gentleman.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back