Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I want to know the use of word "SHABBY".
How and in what cases do we use this word?

I would be thankful.

Thanks,
Madhusudan

Have you looked the word up in a dictionary?

ya i looked actually there are many meanings of this word viz. inferior in quality, wearing worn cloths etc.. But basically or more frequently where do we use this word? appreciate if you could explain this.

NOT A TEACHER

ya i looked actually there are many meanings of this word viz. inferior in quality, wearing worn cloths etc.. But basically or more frequently where do we use this word? appreciate if you could explain this.

Take a look at the definitions and example sentences here.

Also, please remember the following standards of written English:

- Start every new sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Put a space after full stop, comma, question mark, exclamation mark, colon, semi-colon etc.

(Courtesy of emsr2d2.)

- Always capitalise "I".
- "Ya" is not a proper substitute for "yes".

Last edited:
I see it most often used with either clothing or furniture, or referring to how someone is treated.

For examples of single words used in context, bookmark the FrazeIt website.

Rover

Thanks for making me correct. I will take care of that from next time.

I see it most often used with either clothing or furniture, or referring to how someone is treated.

:up: Common collocations are 'shabbily dressed' and 'shabbily furnished'. An example of the metaphorical usage (referring to behaviour or conduct) is 'That's terrible; he shouldn't have done that. You've been very shabbily treated.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back