Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1] He has been here since morning. (It implies that he is here from morning till now)
2] He has been here. (It implies that he is here for some time till now.)
3] He has been to London.(It implies that he went to England & came back. he is here now.)
4] He has just been here.
Does the sentence 4] imply that he was here for some time & just left?
Also please check the meanings of 1] to 3] just to check my understanding.

Last edited:
2 implies that he is no longer here, but we don't know how long he has been here.

4 implies that he was here and has just left. Again, there is nothing to say how long he was here.

Does it mean that the sentences "He has been here." & "He was here." has same meaning & can be used interchangeably ?
If I say "He has been here for two hours", does it mean that he was here for two hours & left?

Last edited:
I would not use 'has been' in 'He was here yesterday', but I am not a teacher.

"He has been here for two hours"
I would think that he is still here now.

Last edited:
I am confused with these sentences.
1. He has been here for two hours. (Implies he is here from last two hrs & he is still here only.)
2. He has been here (Only time expressions is not mentioned. But doesn't it express the continuity? Is time expression is require to stress continuity? I am confused by Rover's reply that he is no longer here.)
Let’s find the few more examples. I would like to know the difference.
A] She has been teacher since 2000.
She has been a teacher.
B] We have been on holiday for 2 weeks.
We have been on holiday.
C] She has been my tennis partner since last month.
She has been my tennis partner.
D] They have been in London for 8 years.
They have been in London.
E] I have had a car for 5 years.
I have had a car.

Please explain me in detail

Last edited by a moderator:
1. He has been here for the last two hours and he is still here.

2. I'll amend my earlier response. We would not say 'He has been here' as a stand-alone sentence. It needs a time expression.

For example, if you say 'Do you know where Dad is?' I'd reply 'He has been here with me for the last two hours (and he is still here)'.

In A] to E], only the first examples are used as stand-alone sentences. The others need extra information before or after.

More examples:

'So far she has been a teacher, a police officer and a barista at Starbucks.'
'Sorry we missed your birthday party but we've been on holiday since Easter Sunday.'
'She has been my tennis partner for three years.'
'I think they have been in London since last Tuesday.'
'It's been a long time since I have had a car as reliable as this Trabant.'

Thanks Rover_Ke. I have understood the difference.
In connection with present perfect tense (with the time expressions 'since' & 'for'), I would like know whether the meaning of following sentences is same as present perfect continuous or not. Some grammarians say it is true only for state verbs & other verbs like study, work, learn, live

1] I have smoked for 10 years.= I have been smoking for 10 years.
2] We have waited for him since morning.= We have been waiting for him since morning.
3] She has played Badminton for 5 years.= She has been playing badminton for 5 years.
4] She has read the magazine since afternoon.= she has been reading the magazine since afternoon.

4] is not natural.

Can verbs other than state verbs be used in present perfect tense with time expression 'since' or 'for' to indicate that action started in past & still continuing?

Action verbs.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back