[Grammar] Usage of definitive article (the Coca-Cola's network and Coca-Cola's network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Hello,

I was wondering why it is grammatically incorrect to use the definitive article in front of ownership, e.g. "the Coca-Cola's network" comparing "Coca-Cola's network".

As I understand, the s redundant here, even though we're talking about specific network owned by Coca-Cola.

Thanks for you help.

Hello,

I was wondering why it is grammatically incorrect to use the definitive article in front of ownership, e.g. "the Coca-Cola's network" comparing "Coca-Cola's network".

As I understand, the s redundant here, even though we're talking about a specific network owned by Coca-Cola.

Thanks for you help.

You understand correctly. The possessive form specifies that we're talking about one network. You can see this if you recast the phrase to the network of the Coca-Cola company.​ Without the possessive, you need the definite article.

The Coca-Cola network would work in many contexts, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back