Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
English dictionaries explain that "before" and "after" can be used to explain things that happen in course of time.
Is it possible to use "before" and "after" to explain the locations of things as well?
Can I say, "The noise is generated from the valve after/before the pump"?

English dictionaries explain that "before" and "after" can be used to explain things that happen in course of time.
Is it possible to use "before" and "after" to explain the locations of things as well?

Yes, that's possible.

I'm not sure I agree entirely! If you were standing in a room, looking at a pipe that had a pump in the middle and wanted to point out a valve using location, I would say

"generated from the valve just in front of/on the left of the pump"
"generated from the valve just behind/beyond the pump"

The only time I would use "before" for location would be, for instance, "I was arrested and had to go before the judge". That is a relatively old phrase, but means to stand in front of the judge.

As far as "after" goes, I would rarely use this for location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back