Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No article is used before a noun used in phrases as: to leave home, to send word, to catch fire, etc etc. Examples: He sent me word to see him. He left home. Here is my question: why do not these phrases take articles like 1. He sent me a/the word to see him. 2. He left a/the home.

Last edited:
No article is used before a noun used in phrases as: to leave home, to send word, to catch fire, etc etc. Examples: He sent me word to see him. He left home. Here is my question: why don't these phrases take articles like 1. He sent me a/the word to see him. 2. He left a/the home.

I have never asked that question, so I don't have a ready answer. However, it may be that someone will have an answer to that question.

When word means news, instructions or rumour, it is an uncountable noun, without articles.

Home can function as an adverb with the meaning of to/at my/your/etc home.

I am asking pattern like : verb+ noun(object). Examples: to catch fire, to give ear, to take offense, to give battle, to set foot etc.. So like you said nouns of all these phrases are uncountable?

Ears are countable, but I would say that in to give ear, it is being used uncountably, and that none of your examples is being used countably.

I have never heard "to give ear," other than in Shakespeare's "lend me your ears."

Home can function as an adverb with the meaning of to/at my/your/etc home.

In the verb phrase leave home, home is not an adverb. It's a noun.

I have never heard "to give ear," other than in Shakespeare's "lend me your ears."

It's used in the King James Version of the Bible a number of times:

"Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth! ..." Isaiah 1:2 (KJV)

But it's a very poetic and Biblical sounding phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back