Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Nottingham asks Bronson to sign his papers. He is about to take Bronson's hotel:

Trust me, I'm going to turn this place into the finest hotel in Los Angeles. It's going to be uptight and out of sight.

What is the meaning of "uptight"?
I know uptight means being in tense but "out of sight" means excellent. Both side by side doesn't make any sense.

Source: Bedtime Stories (2008)
Screenplay by Matt Lopez & Tim Herlihy

As you say, "out of sight", or even more informally "outasight", means something like excellent, extremely good, wonderful.

"Uptight" has apparently meant nervous or tense since the 1930s, but in jazz circles at least into the 1960s, it could have a similar meaning to "out of sight".
In 1965 Stevie Wonder had a hit with "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" which has a chorus that goes: "Baby, everything is all right. Uptight, out of sight". A soul music context using "uptight" in that positive sense.

In your example, the character is probably using the phrase "uptight and out of sight" knowing that it would be understood as fully positive, as in the song, despite "uptight" having now settled on a different meaning in general conversation.

I've had a chance to look at the script more closely and the conversation you've quoted seems to be part of a flashback to 1974. This means that the remark is even closer in time to the 60s song it refers to than I'd assumed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back