Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi all!
Famous "Oops! I did it again" by Britney Spears
From first verse:
'Cause to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me

She sings word "senses" in such unusual way... I have a fixed idea that she sings something different. Please explain.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ok, excuse me for the link absense.
I really hear something like this ( sorry for nonsense mix of words, don't know how to write transcription):
... lose all my "iz any staz"

The final "s" in the word "senses" does sound like a "z" when spoken or sung. That's correct. Whether an "s" at the end of the word sounds like a sibilant "s" or more like a "z" depends on the word.

Last edited:
She pronounces the second e like the first, presumably to support the song's rhyme scheme. (I didn't listen to the next line to find out.) Usually the second e is reduced to a schwa.

So yes, her pronunciation is a bit unusual there.

Ok, excuse me for the absent/missing link [strike]absense[/strike].
I really hear something like this ( sorry for nonsense mix of words, don't know how to write transcription):
... lose all my "iz any staz"
The young Britney used a breathy singing style that introduced a lot of extra sounds which could be heard as vowels. I heard that bit as lost all my uh-sense-ehs​, with the second vowel of "senses" pronounced unusually as I noted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back