Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teacher(s),

I'm confused the concept of unnecessary shifts. can you help me in figuring out the shift in the following sentence?Thanks a lot in advance!

Germ diseases are less common than they were, but the work of controlling them still goes on.

oh, who can explain it to me? I think the second part of the sentence led by "but" may be wrong. But, I'm not sure.

I had to look up unnecessary shifts as I'd never heard of them before.

I can't see one in the sentence you quote.

What does 'unnecessary shifts' mean? I have consulted several dictionaries but still don't understand.

Not a teacher.

Click on my link, Matthew.

oh, I forgot to say that unnecessary shifts in sentence referred to often shifts from one subject to another, from one verb to another or shifts in the tense, voice, mood of verbs in one sentence. Am I right?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[STRIKE]oh,[/STRIKE] I forgot to say that 'unnecessary shifts' in sentences often refers to shifts from one subject to another, from one verb to another or shifts in the tense, voice, mood of verbs in one sentence. Am I right?
You are right.

There's no need to start with 'Oh', but if you have to, it must be capitalised as it's the first word in the sentence.

Dear Rover,

Thank you for your correction to my carefulness in writing. And, I still do not know how to revise the sentence I proposed in view of unnecessary shifts.

Can you help me?

I can't see an unnecessary shift in your original sentence so I would not revise it.

Thank you very much for your help. You are right, and I can't agree more. I will pay attention to my writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back