[Essay] Universities are said to be the workshops of the future. What, in your opinion, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
...should they do to fulfill their mission?

There is no doubt that university education is considered as the most important step to the future development not only of the individual but also of society. However, if a university wants to be able to fulfill its duty as a workshop of the future, it must accomplish three main tasks.

First of all, a successful university should offer to its students good educational programmes. Variety of subjects should be involved, so that students could choose the most appropriate for them. In addition, the educational process should give both practical and theoretical knowledge. In this way, learners will be prepared good enough to accomplish their tasks, no matter if they require stable theoretical knowledge or practice.

The second thing universities should do is to apply innovative teaching methods. Teachers in universities should be given the opportunity to use diversity of teaching approaches such as interactive education. They must be able to use the advantages that modern technology offers in the educational process. For example, distant education and online courses should be part of the options that every modern university offers to its students. In this way, fulfilling their duty would be much easier and effective.

Finally, the most important condition for a university to accomplish its purpose, is to motivate its students. These educational institutions should show to their learners how important is the education they offer. Learners should know that educated people are more successful. What is more, they should not be doubtful if their university education makes sense. Only when universities succeed to do this, they will be able to fulfill their mission completely.

To summarise, universities are educational institutions with a vital role in society. They build our future by providing different opportunities for better life. However, their mission will be completed if they also enhance their teaching methods and inspire their students.

"There is no doubt that university education is considered as the most important step to the future development not only of the individual but also of society."

Are you sure? Who considers that? I'd consider the most important step growing up in a loving home with supportive parents.
It's not certain whose viewpoint you're giving in this essay. Are these your beliefs, or are you giving the opinion of the anonymous people who have no doubt about the above proposition?

What is more, they should not be doubtful if their university education makes sense.
That may be the case in Bulgaria. In the West, a student should question everything they learn, especially if they are doing a liberal arts course.

Is it all right if I use expressions like 'I believe...', 'In my opinion...', etc. in this essay?

For example:
'I strongly believe that university education is one of the most important steps to the future professional development of the individual.' Is this way of expressing opinion will be more appropriate in this case?

Last edited:
I editted one of the paragraphs and now it sounds like this:

'Finally, the most important condition for universities to accomplish their purpose is to motivate their students to express themselves freely. These educational institutions should show to their students how important is for them to be confident and to believe in their own abilities. What is more, learners should know that educated people are successful and can achieve a lot. Only when universities succeed to do this, they will be able to fulfill their mission completely.'

What do you think about it? Can someone also tell if my essay is gramatically correct?

Is it all right if I use expressions like 'I believe...', 'In my opinion...', etc. in this essay?
Yes, if the question explicitly asks for your opinion, you should make it clear that it is your opinion, especially if you say something that might be controversial.

...should they do to fulfill their mission?

There is no doubt that university education is considered (delete: as) the most important step to the future development (Too sweeping. It is considered the most important by many, but not by all. I'd soften that line.) not only of the individual but also of society. However, if a university wants to be able to fulfill its duty as a workshop of the future (I don't know what "workshop of the future" means.), it must accomplish three main tasks.

First of all, a successful university should offer to its students good educational programmes. A variety of subjects should be involved, so that students can choose the most appropriate for them. In addition, the educational process should give both practical and theoretical knowledge. In this way, learners will be prepared well enough to accomplish their tasks, no matter whether they require stable theoretical knowledge or practice.

The second thing universities should do is to apply innovative teaching methods. Teachers in universities should be given the opportunity to use diverse teaching approaches, such as interactive education. They must be able to use the advantages that modern technology offers in the educational process. For example, distant education and online courses should be part of the options that every modern university offers to its students. In this way, fulfilling their duty would be much easier and more effective.

Finally, the most important task for a university to accomplish its purpose (delete the comma) is to motivate its students. These educational institutions should show (delete: to) their learners how important the education they offer is. Learners should know that educated people are often more successful. (Again, avoid sweeping absolutes. It weakens your case.) What is more, they should not doubt whether their university education makes sense. (Universities have no control over students' opinion - nor should they.) Only when universities succeed in this will they be able to fulfill their mission completely.

To summarise, universities are educational institutions with a vital role in society. They build our future by providing different opportunities for better lives. However, their mission will be completed only if they also enhance their teaching methods and inspire their students.

This is good.

You're only run into big trouble when you make one-size-fits-all arguments, which are easy for readers to shoot down - as Raymott did.

I'd also explain what "workshop of the future means." Do you mean that universities won't be schools anymore? I don't get it.

For example:
'I strongly believe that university education is one of the most important steps to the future professional development of the individual.' Is this way of expressing opinion will be more appropriate in this case?

Yes, that's much better.

Thank you very much for your help and advice! I think that 'workshop' is used in a metaphorical way. In my opinion, universities are compared to workshops because they educate and create the tommorrow's leaders, scientists, teachers or whatever profession you can think about. :)

Thank you very much for your help and advice! I think that 'workshop' is used in a metaphorical way. In my opinion, universities are compared to workshops because they educate and create the tommorrow's leaders, scientists, teachers or whatever profession you can think about. :)

Oh! Then "FOR the future" would be better. When we say "OF the future," we mean futuristic:

jetsons.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back