yuheci

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Finland
I want to know what is the meaning difference for “…Unfortunately not…” and “…Unfortunately…”?
Thanks for your help and time.

Yu Heci

Does the difference become clear in these two dialogues?

1. Mary: Is your mother out of hospital yet?
Bill: Unfortunately not. (= She is not out of hospital yet.)

Jill: Is your mother still in hospital?
Jack: Unfortunately. (= She is still in hospital.)

Does the difference become clear in these two dialogues?

1. Mary: Is your mother out of hospital yet?
Bill: Unfortunately not. (= She is not out of hospital yet.)

Jill: Is your mother still in hospital?
Jack: Unfortunately. (= She is still in hospital.)
Thanks for your teaching.

In the Attachment file, can I use “Unfortunately” instead of “Unfortunately not”?

Attachments

• IMG_6920.jpeg
    IMG_6920.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 5
In the Attachment file, attached excerpt, can I use “Unfortunately” instead of “Unfortunately not”?
No.

Compare:
Case 1
A: Are you surprised by the results?
B: Unfortunately not.
Here, B is saying two things:
1- I am not surprised by the results (which makes sense given "... the trend has been heading in the same direction for decades and the situation is still exactly the same".
2- I find this situation (the report figures confirming the continued high rates of social problems) unfortunate.

Case2
A: Are you surprised by the results?
B: Unfortunately.
Here, B is saying two things:
1- Yes, I am surprised by the results.
2- I find the situation/results unfortunate.
This might be said, for example, if the rates of social problems were low before, but now they're high.

Last edited:
I want to know what is the difference in meaning difference for between "Unfortunately not…” and “Unfortunately…”.

Thanks for your help and time. You're welcome but there's no need to thank anyone in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any useful response. You can find this by hovering your mouse over the "Like" button and choosing the 🙏 icon.

Yu Heci You don't need to add your name to posts. We can see your username under your avatar.
Thanks for your teaching advice.

In the attachment, file, can I use “Unfortunately” instead of “Unfortunately not”?
Note my corrections and comments above.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back