Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What do you native speakers say about the ultimate skill when playing a game? Is"ultimate skill" the proper expression?

What do you native speakers say about the ultimate skill when playing a game? Is"ultimate skill" the proper expression?

He's/She's a pro(fessioinal) is one possibility. OR as in your ID and after scoring many points/goals: He's/She's smoking hot!

I think a lot depends on the game being played. For example, you may not use the same vocabulary when playing football as you do when playing a computer game.

Could anyone please explain what is meant by "ultimate skill" in connection with games?
I know what skills are and ultimate means and also googled "ultimate skill", but it's still not clear.

Is it
1. Your overall ability to play the specific game?
2. Your score/rating, like for example the Elo rating system in chess?
3. Level of profession, for example "he/she is an amateur", "he/she is a pro"?

Last edited:
Could anyone please explain what is meant by "ultimate skill" in connection with games?
I know what skills are and ultimate means and also googled "ultimate skill", but it's still not clear.

Is it
1. Your overall ability to play the specific game?
2. Your score/rating, like for example the Elo rating system in chess?
3. Level of profession, for example "he/she is an amateur", "he/she is a pro"?
It's not a phrase I've ever heard in connection with games, but I imagine it refers to the highest level of skill possible. Mind you, I know nothing at all about computer games, perhaps it's used in that world.

I did not make myself clear.I'm looking for a general expression in games. Which word or phrase do you use to express the highest level of skill the game characters got?

Last edited:
I did not make myself clear.I'm looking for a general expression in games. Which word or phrase do you use to express the highest level of skill the game characters got?

* Not a teacher

If a player is very skilled, you can call it pro, leet, elite, 1337, 31337, uber elite, master, guru, expert etc..

[irony]
Or you call him a cheater.
[/irony]

I have a feeling that the language used in computer games or by those who play them is a language of its own. It probably has little to do with "real" English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back