Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

I am writing my first essay and I am wondering if I could use words like memorize, summarize or realize using -ze at the end.

I know that in UK it should be memorise, summarise and realise, but some UK dictionaries I have, and even dictionaries online, spell the words with -ze. Even word office 'tells' me that summarising is a mistake in English (United Kingdom) language and it should be summarizing.

I guess it changes from word to word, doesn't it?

I am a bit confused. What should I do?

If your copy of Microsoft Office is a US-based version, then it will tell you that "summarising" is wrong. However, "summarising" is correct in British English.

If you are writing an academic essay for a UK-based institution, I recommend you use the -ise ending wherever appropriate. Remember also to use, for example "favour (not favor)" and "colour (not color)".

The simple answer to what you should do is that you should decide between AmE and BrE and then stick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back