Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, you don't need to put everything in one sentence. (You can use two or more.) Two, in real life there is always context. Always.

Two things. One, you don't need to put everything in one sentence. (You can use two or more.) Two, in real life there is always context. Always.
When I was an undergrad, I swept past two women students.
I overheard one say to her friend, "You bring the ping pong balls, and I'll bring the mice."

There wasn't a scrap of context in that entire line of dialog.
I've spent a lot of the time since then regretting that I didn't ask her where she got her cute shoes. :(

I was overheard myself one time talking to a fellow member of my genetics class (referring to a cross-breeding experiment):
I said "It's time to mate my virgins."
A passing student pulled up short but he didn't follow up on his intrigue.
Maybe he just liked my shoes.

@Ms. Worth Yes, there was context -- the part you didn't hear.

Agreed.

Reminds me of something I read on another forum.

There's always context. Even if it's just a few words written on a piece of paper you find on the street, the context is that it was written on a piece of paper that you found on the street.

When we say there's no context, we actually mean we don't know the (entire) context.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Reminds me of something I read on another forum.

There's always context. Even if it's just a few words written on a piece of paper you find on the street, the context is that it was written on a piece of paper that you found on the street.

When we say there's no context, we actually mean we don't know the (entire) context.
That stretches the definition of "context" more than somewhat.
I guess it also ends the constant criticism that sentences are posted without context -- their context is "It's a post."

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ms. Worth I have edited your post to delete LOL. This forum should contain only standard English that our learners can use in any context whatsoever. Therefore LOL and similar Chatlish terns are not to be used here.

@Ms. Worth I have edited your post to delete LOL. This forum should contain only standard English that our learners can use in any context whatsoever. Therefore LOL and similar Chatlish terns are not to be used here.
Okay. Thanks.
I think you may have told me this before, but I forgot.

Sorry.
I'll watch it in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back