Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This exercise is from English File. Could you please check my corrections? 94571712_1540695872752995_6233665531405139968_n.jpg I think I should have left the 's' in ''twenty thousands''.

The' s' at the end of thousands and millions is wrong.

The' s' at the end of thousands and millions is wrong.

But if I add books or $ twenty thousand books or three million dollars then using the 's' would be wrong. Am I right?
Was the rest correct?

But if I add books or $ twenty thousand books or three million dollars then using the 's' would be wrong. Am I right?
Was the rest correct?
It's always three thousand/twenty million whether or not a noun follows the number.

I say a hundred and seventy-five or one hundred seventy-five — usually the former. The "and" may be almost completely reduced, emerging as 'n'.

Please transcribe the other questions.

It's always three thousand/twenty million whether or not a noun follows the number.

I say a hundred and seventy-five or one hundred seventy-five — usually the former. The "and" may be almost completely reduced, emerging as 'n'.

Please transcribe the other questions.

175 one/a hundred and seventy-five
2,150 two thousand one hundred and fifty
3,009 three thousand and nine
20,000 twenty thousand
3,000, 000 three million

20,000 twenty thousand
3,000,000 three million

With my correction to the spacing above, yes, those are correct.

20,000 twenty thousand
3,000, 000 three million
And is optional in American English except for a hundred and seventy-five — but it's often so reduced as to be barely perceptible in speech.

And is optional in American English except for a hundred and seventy-five — but it's often so reduced as to be barely perceptible in speech.

Could you please write an example where it is optional?

Could you please write an example where it is optional?
I meant it's optional in all of the numbers you listed except the first. I've underlined the required "and" and put the optional ones in square brackets below.

2,150 two thousand one hundred [and] fifty
3,009 three thousand [and] nine

I meant it's optional in all of the numbers you listed except the first. I've underlined the required "and" and put the optional ones in square brackets below.
Thank you. I misunderstood at first. And it's optional in American English only?

I can't say for certain that no native BrE speakers use it without "and" but I've never heard one omit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back