Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "to go to school" refer to or mean here? "kids going to school" or "kinds who is planning to go to school"? If it's the former, the former is better, I guess.

G: Did you watch the documentary last night about a great woman in Korean history?
B: No, I didn't. Who was it about?
G:It was about Na Hyeseok, who was the first female painter to paint in the Western style in Korea
B:Why do you think she is special?
G:She was born in a period of male domination, so her father forced heer to marry instead of studying.
B:Then, how did she study art?
G : She earned money by tutoring kids to go to school. After she got married, she kept studying art.

Last edited:
What does "to go to school" refer to or mean here? "kids going to school" or "kinds who is planning to go to school"? If it's the former, the former is better, I guess.

5.B:Then, how did she study art?
G : She earned money by tutoring kids to go to school. After she got married, she kept studying art.

"Tutoring kids to go to school" is not a natural construction. I don't know what it is supposed to mean.

Without knowing for sure, I would assume she tutored pre-school age children in order to prepare them for going to an actual school. However, it might just be a very poor construction and mean something different.

Without knowing for sure, I would assume she tutored pre-school age children in order to prepare them for going to an actual school. However, it might just be a very poor construction and mean something different.

It is a poor construction, and ambiguous but I would take it to mean that she earned money to pay for Art School by tutoring kids. More context might make it clearer.

It is a poor construction, and ambiguous but I would take it to mean that she earned money to pay for Art School by tutoring kids. More context might make it clearer.

I agree entirely with that part, she certainly earnt money for art school by tutoring kids, but what "tutoring kids to go to school" means is a mystery.

I'm terribly sorry for all the teachers!!! I didn't pay full attention on the previous context. It was her own purpose to go to school!
I'm so ashamed!:oops:

I agree entirely with that part, she certainly earnt money for art school by tutoring kids, but what "tutoring kids to go to school" means is a mystery.

If we tun this around "She earned money by tutoring kids to go to school" to get this ""She earned money to go to school by tutoring kids" it makes more sense.

I'm terribly sorry for all the teachers!!! I didn't pay full attention on the previous context. It was her purpose to go to school!
I'm so ashamed!:oops:

That doesn't answer the question. It was clear that the tutor was earning money so she could go to school. What is not clear is the age/circumstances of the kids.

If we tun this around "She earned money by tutoring kids to go to school" to get this ""She earned money to go to school by tutoring kids" it makes more sense.

Ah! I think you've got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back