Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Having failed to make a living out of the small business, he changed his occupation and began to work as a bus driver.
To rewrite the sentence by using "turn to", should I say "... he turned to working as a bus driver" or "...he turned to work as a bus driver" , or are they both OK?
Hope you can help me. Thank you!

I prefer "he turned into a bus driver".

Not a teacher.

Having failed to make a living out of the small business, he changed his occupation and began to work as a bus driver.
To rewrite the sentence by using "turn to", should I say "... he turned to working as a bus driver" or "...he turned to work as a bus driver" , or are they both OK?
Hope you can help me. Thank you!

Of the two "turned to working" works best for me.

They both work for me. But I prefer 'working'.

They both work for me. But I prefer 'working'.

I'd use working, but think work is acceptable.

He turned into a bus driver- this sounds like frogs turning into princes when kissed and doesn't work for me.

It seems a big mistake to say "turn into a bus driver".
May I say "switch to bus driving"?

I would probably say "... so he became a bus driver", "... so he decided to try driving a bus [for a living]" or "so he decided to try being a bus driver [for a living]".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back