Turkey is located in a special region where...

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

"Turkey is located in a special region where many positive and negative international developments take place.

Turkey’s geo-strategic location and its historical-cultural ties with a large region surrounding its land oblige us to follow multi-dimensional, balanced and active foreign policies.

Turkey’s relations with Europe and Euro-Atlantic institutions constitute one of the significant dimensions of Turkish foreign policy. Within this framework, the EU accession process, Turkey’s position in the NATO alliance and relations with the United States traditionally come first on our foreign policy agenda.

Eurasia has also a significant place in Turkish foreign policy. The integration of Europe and Asia through the establishment of energy and transportation corridors and the creation of new dynamics for economic growth form the basis of our vision for Eurasia.

The Turkish people want to see peace, stability, growth and welfare in their surroundings and to make the most of globalization. The starting point of Turkish foreign policy is based on this understanding.

Turkey encourages a positive change in its region and aims to create an environment that enables cooperation rather than tensions and conflicts. Accordingly, one of the primary goals of Turkish foreign policy is to contribute to finding solutions to disputes in its region.

In the recent years, we have focused our energy on our relations with the neighboring countries. We have now overcome the opposing attitudes that separated us in the past by adopting a problem-solving approach.

Turkey also played a pioneering role in establishing various regional cooperation mechanisms such as the Black Sea Economic Cooperation Organization and the Economic Cooperation Organization.

Turkey is determined to continue with its efforts towards the achievement and preservation of peace, security and stability not only in its region but all over the world."

The text above is my translation of a sample text retrieved from the Turkish Foreign Ministry's entrance examination. Can you please check the English?

I don't believe that you are a new student or learner of English.

There are many native English speakers who cannot write as well as you have shown here. I cannot find one serious English error.

Ok, on third reading I found ONE error.

Turkey is determined to continue with its efforts towards the achievement and preservation of peace, security and stability not only in its region but also all over the world.

When you use "not only" in a sentence it must be followed by "but also" later in the sentence.

Careful reading has shown another problem

The integration of Europe and Asia through the establishment of energy and transportation corridors [strike]and[/strike] along with the creation of new dynamics for economic growth form the basis of our vision for Eurasia.

You have used "and" twice in quick succession in this sentence. It is confusing to read this construction. Changing the second "and" to "along with" eliminates the confusion without a change in meaning. "Along with" sort of means "at the same time"

It is a treat to read such a well written document. Well done.

I’m a life-time, if not new, learner of English. Thank you so much for your corrections and your kind comments on my writing. I think I have a lot to learn to outstrip a regular native speaker in English. I study diligently to be perfectly comfortable with English. This forum has so far helped a lot to this end. On this occasion, I would like to state that I really appreciate all the efforts that you guys put in here.

Well it is my turn to say thank you for your comments.

Right now I have seen your ability to write English and I am impressed by what I have seen. I would imagine that your ability to read English to be on a similar high level. However, I wonder if you have the same ability in listening/speaking English.

Many English teachers as I grew up, focused on grammar, writing and reading but virtually ignored listening/speaking. I have taught on a small scale in Thailand, France and in my own country of Canada. It is basically a hobby for me and I find it interesting. Nowadays there is more of an emphasis on listening/speaking when teaching ESL. It is probably the main reason most English teachers are hired in foreign countries.

Listening/speaking English is extremely important if you think about it. In your life you probably spend over half of your life using these skills. How are your listening /speaking skills in English? Is that where you need the most training?

I will give you an example of a listening English exercise. It is in the area of word stress. I will bold one word in a simple sentence.

1. You are going
2. You are going
3. You are going
4. You are going
5. you are going (italics mean said with a rising tone)

Three words said differently. I have purposely wrote these phrases without punctuation, so you don't get the benefit of punctuation.:)

Can you give me a response that you might give (showing me you understand what has been said) to each of these examples?? Also why a speaker would say the words that way?

Think about this. I think you are up for the challenge.

angelsrolls

Are you doing the translation for the Turkish Foreign Ministry? It seems strange to me that you are doing translation of specific technical articles as exercise as I notice you have posted a few times on the same subject earlier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back