Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My student was reading a sentence but she mispronounced the word "Read" as "read" (I'm pretty sure the sentence is in present tense), so I said to her:

Try again to see if you can figure out the error.

Is the above sentence natural? How about the following one?

Try again and see if you can spot the error.

It would make sense the other way round. "See if you can work out your error, then try again".

Note that telling us that someone pronounced "read" as "read" really doesn't help!!! You need to give us an indication of the phonetic pronunciation. Say something like "A student pronounced "read" as "red" instead of as "reed" - I think the sentence was in the present tense so it should have been "reed"".

she mispronounced the word "Read" as "read"
You need to be clearer about tenses since "read" can have two different pronunciations, depending on which tense you intend.
Also, why have you capitalized the first "read"?

Also, why have you capitalized the first "read"?

That was a typo. I'm sorry.

We'd use the phrase spot an error only when the sense is that we're relying primarily on our vision, because spotting is seeing. In this case, I don't think that fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back