transcriptions and word explanations

• Thread starter sondra
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,873
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sondra

Could you give the transcriptions for the words: cheiropodist, cheiromantist, chiromancer, please.
In this sentence "She exclaimed and gave an involuntary start." -Does the word start refer to a sudden
movement or to a point where something begins, a conversation in this case as the two women had just began talking. Can it refer to both meanings at the same time.
Does the verb to draw up mean to prepare dinner, in this sentence: I am going to live in a ballon, and draw up my dinner in a basket every evening.
He comes to see my hand twice a week and is most interesting about it. Does the last sentence mean
that he tells her very interestinng things?
I wonder how many questions can I ask per day?
Thank you.

Hi sondra,

Could you give the transcriptions for the words: cheiropodist, cheiromantist, chiromancer, please.

Sorry, but I cannot. I've never seen these words before in my life.

In this sentence "She exclaimed and gave an involuntary start." -Does the word start refer to a sudden movement or to a point where something begins, a conversation in this case as the two women had just began talking. Can it refer to both meanings at the same time.

It means a sudden movement. No.

Does the verb to draw up mean to prepare dinner, in this sentence: I am going to live in a ballon, and draw up my dinner in a basket every evening.

No, he lives in a balloon, flying up in the sky. He pulls up his dinner on the end of a rope from a basket that some unnamed person prepares fro him down on the ground.

He comes to see my hand twice a week and is most interesting about it. Does the last sentence mean that he tells her very interestinng things?

This doesn't make much sense to me.

I wonder how many questions can I ask per day?
It would be preferable to ask questions in different threads if you don't mind.
Someone might see that you have a response here and move on, without realizing I couldn't answer the first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back